As you complete your sign-up in the app, you'll be prompted to verify your ID with us as the last step in your sign-up process:
Starting the ID verification process
Once you tap Continue, you can start the process:
We use a third-party service called Persona to verify your ID and match it to your face. This helps us verify your identity and protect your OneVest account without needing to verify your ID in person.
What you'll need:
To complete this process, you'll need:
- Government-issued photo ID (like a driver's license or passport, a full list of accepted types can be found below)
- To allow OneVest camera and location access to your device (the app will prompt you for this automatically)
Verifying your ID
OneVest accepts the following ID types:
- Driver's License
- State/Provincial ID
- Passport Card
- Permanent Resident Card
Take out your ID and place it on a contrasting surface with good lighting (avoid lightly-colored surfaces like paper or light countertops).
The app will walk you through the steps of lining up your camera to recognize your ID. Once it recognizes it, it will capture the image automatically.
Once captured, the app will process your ID.
If the app can't recognize your ID, you'll be asked to try again.
Matching your face to your ID
The next step is to take a selfie so we can match your face to your ID.
Like with your ID, the app will help you center your face on-screen using your front-facing camera. Once you're happy with the placement, tap the camera button.
You'll be asked to look in a few directions in order to fully recognize your face.
If the app can't recognize your face, you'll be asked to try again.
If everything matches up, you'll see a success message and continue to your home screen:
What happens if we have questions about your identity verification?
Sometimes - it happens that we can't successfully verify your ID automatically.
If we can't verify your identity, our support team will reach out to you directly to gather more information and verify your identity manually.
When verifying your ID manually, we'll request you either:
- Send us photos of two (2) different types of ID, or
- Schedule a video call with our support team to verify two (2) different pieces of ID.
If the ID check doesn't work for you:
- Make sure you have the latest version of the app installed
- Make sure you've set your device to allow Camera and Location permissions to the OneVest app correctly
- Try restarting your app, and logging back in - you'll pick up the sign-up process where you left off and can try the ID check again.
- If you're still having trouble, get in touch with our support team and we can help.